16 February 2009

couch to 5k: week three

This week: Much more running, much less walking. Two reps of the following: 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking. This feature the longest runs yet, as well as much less recovery time than before. Because of last week's shin splints, I did some research and decided to slow my paces some. For this week, my walk was 3 mph and my run was 5.5 mph. Though the run felt a bit slow, the shin splints quickly went away.

Workout 1: After a lot of good stretching and a very long warmup walk, I got on the treadmill and was very careful about not dragging my heels, either while walking or running. Though there were still some problems with shin splints in my left leg, they were far better than last week.

Workout 2: I was able to get rid of the really long warmup and by simply stretching and watching my form had absolutely no shin splints whatsoever.

Workout 3: By this point in the week, I was wondering whether or not I was supposed to do 3 reps instead of 2. This is the great thing about this program -- just when things start to seem easy, they get harder.

I have to say, I'm so glad I finally decided to do this program. I really look forward to the runs every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I've also found that I'm feeling more energetic during the day and sleeping better at night. I'm definitely excited for the next few weeks, as the runs get longer and longer.

Grade: A. Remembered my water and my music everyday and finally made some smart decisions so I don't end up injuring myself.
Reactions:

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great program! I'm totally going to try it as soon as it stops being ass-cold here.

    ReplyDelete